I founded Aligning Visions to use my skills in facilitation, participatory evaluation, and training, to build the organizational capacity and effectiveness of conservation organizations around the world. Recent projects include:
£ RedLAC Strategic Plan 2016-2019 (Latin America and the Caribbean);
£ MigraMar Strategic Plan 2016-2020 (workshops in Panama and Ecuador);
£ The Mexican Fund for the Conservation of Nature (Mexico);
£ Audubon California (USA);
£ Birds Caribbean (Grenada);
£ World Wildlife Fund (Guianas);
£ Coaches Network for the Open Standards for the Practice of Conservation (USA);
£ Fundraising techniques for Audubon Chapters – Audubon California
£ Governance retreat in Guatemala – MAR Fund
£ Program Evaluation Methodologies for GEF Accreditation – FUNBIO, Brazil
£ Governance and Launching a new NGO – Coral Triangle Center, Indonesia
£ Designing Innovative Conservation Projects – MAR Leadership Program, Mexico
In many cases the learning from the clients and research for the training programs result in “how-to” style manuals such as: 1) Recruiting High-Voltage Boards (Audubon California); 2) Fundraising Strategies for Environmental Funds (RedLAC); and 3) MAR Leadership: Launching Innovative Conservation Projects (FMCN). See Publications below for additional manuals
I lead independent project evaluations of conservation programs for donors and nonprofits. Evaluations are highly participatory, build in staff, board and partner discussions for how to improve performance, and incorporate recommendations for future strategies. Examples include:
£ The Forever Costa Rica Trust (FCRT and the 3 private donors);
£ Team member with Michael P. Wells for final evaluation of a $395 million grant to Conservation International (Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation);
£ The Brazilian Amazon Regional Protected Areas Program (FUNBIO and GEF);
£ The Mexican Natural Protected Area System (SINAP 2 with FMCN and GEF);
£ USAID Tropical Forest Conservation Act Program in Guatemala (USAID); and
£ Climate Change Resiliency on the Mesoamerican Reef (WWF-UK).
- Stanford Graduate Business School, Executive Education Program 2000
- M.S. California Polytechnic State U., International Agricultural Development 1986
- B.S. Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service 1980
The Nature Conservancy
Senior Director, Staff Development and Recruiting 2000-2002
Co-directed Human Resources for a 3,400 person high-growth international organization.
- Launched leadership development and executive education programs. Ensured sustainability through a $4.5 million endowment.
- Built an organization-wide recruiting function. Used competency-based hiring, values-based advertising, and web tools to attract over 600 new employees a year.
Director, Conservation Learning Network 1997-2000
Developed organization-wide conservation training priorities for staff, trustees, and partner organizations including orientation program for over 400 new employees a year, thematic conferences, and strategic workshops linked to new conservation approaches. Partnered with universities and other experts to develop tailored workshops and enhance knowledge-sharing tools.
Director of Training, Latin America and Caribbean 1992-1997
Built and managed a 10-person team to strengthen the institutional capacity of over 20 Latin American partner organizations implementing Parks in Peril – an international program dedicated to turning “paper parks” into well-managed conservation units. We implemented organizational assessments, leadership training, capacity-building interventions, networking events such as the 400+ person Conservation Training Week bringing in practitioners from over 22 countries, and documented best practices.
- Provided one-on-one mentoring, facilitation, and training in conservation strategies, board development, strategic planning, participatory rural appraisal, gender in natural resource management, management, and fundraising.
- Raised over $2 million in operating and program funds.
- Lead author of two books dedicated to the evolution of civic society in Latin America:
o Resources for Success for nonprofit organizations (English, Spanish and Portuguese)
o Rumbo al éxito for Boards of Directors (available in Spanish)
Training Coordinator, Science Division 1991-1992
Co-authored the book Rapid Ecological Assessment (Eng. and Spn.) – a breakthrough strategy for rapidly evaluating tropical landscapes for biodiversity values in situations where biological data is scarce to enable more timely conservation decisions. Provided follow-up training programs throughout Latin America.
Other International Employment
Director, Latin American Programs, OEF International 1988-1991
Managed USAID funded micro-enterprise credit and training programs for low-income Central American rural women. Worked with local staff to institutionalize these one-time projects into 3 Central American micro-enterprise organizations. Now over 20 years old, they have served thousands of rural women.
Consultant, Inter-American Foundation, Guatemala 1987–1988
- Evaluated and documented rural women's economic development projects.
- Thesis on "Gender Issues in Agricultural Extension in Central America"
- Recruiting High Voltage Boards - Audubon California 2015
- MAR Leadership Resource Book: Launching Innovative Conservation Projects – FMCN 2013
- Participatory Strategic Planning: A How-To Guide. Aligning Visions 2013
- Monitoring the Impact of Environmental Fund Projects on Biodiversity Conservation
- in Protected Areas - Co-author, RedLAC 2013
- Meaningful Nonprofit Boards: A How-To Guide. Aligning Visions 2013
- Fundraising Strategies for Environmental Funds - RedLAC 2011
- Environmental Funds Tool Kit - Conservation Finance Alliance 2010
- Conservation Partnerships Resource Center, The Nature Conservancy 2010
- Building Vibrant Sierra Communities: A Commercial and Mixed-Use Handbook, SBC 2005
- Hiring and Retention Guides, The Nature Conservancy 2000
- Rumbo al éxito on board development,Co-author,TNC 1997
- Resources for Success for conservation nonprofits, Editor, TNC 1993
- Evaluación ecológica rápida, Co-author, TNC 1992
- English — Native tongue
- Spanish — Excellent, over 9 years living in Spanish-speaking countries
- Portuguese — Very Good, facilitate workshops and manage international teams.
- Dual National - Great Britain and the United States.
Recent Volunteer Commitments
- Chair, Governance Committee, Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation 2010-2015
- Board, Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation. 2009-2015